2.3 When do you change your hand? How to observe discarded cards to change strategy? Several situations.
What is changing hand?
When a person start making certain sets and then picks up cards from open deck or closed deck, discards few cards and then decides to change the sets – this is called as changing hand!
Why do players change hand?
Players change their hand for the following reasons:
- All the required cards to make a set are discarded by other players and they are not available for making the set anymore
- Player may change the hand basing on the sets required to be formed and availability of the same in his hand!
- There are smaller sets which are possible to make due to the new cards added to the set, hence discard the bigger cards and change hand!
- Confuse the opponents
In each of the above case, most important factor would be to observe the cards discarded not just by immediate opponent player but also all the players playing on the table.
In the above picture we can see that player has following probable sets
- Spade 10, Hearts 10 – needs a Clubs or Diamond 10 ( which is a open card to pick)
- Diamond 5, Clubs 5 – needs a Hearts or Spades 5 to make a set
- Clubs 5, Clubs 6 – needs a Clubs 4 or 7 to make a set
- Clubs 6 , Spades 6 – needs a Hearts or Diamond 6 to make a set
- Diamond J , Clubs J – Needs a Hearts or Spades J to make a set
Observe the below picture:
After couple of rounds we observe that
- Player has picked up Diamond 10 and made a triplet of 10’s and discarded Spade K which was not into any set.
- Also he has picked a Hearts J to make a triplet of J’s discarded the Hearts 7 and Diamond 2 which were not into any set.
- But if we closely observe we would find that there is no sequence still.
Change of Hand!
Now we can observe that
- Player has changed the 10’s triplet set and Jack’s triplet set into three main sets and discarded Spade 10
- After receiving Diamond 9, player has made a main set Diamond 9 , 10 and J
- Hearts 10 and J along with a joker has become another set
- Discarding spade 10 reduced 10 points from the hand
- We can see that the player has picked up both Diamond 10 and Hearts J which are now useful to make main sets and not in the triplets for which they have been picked
Player may change the hand basing on the sets required to be formed and availability of the same in his hand!
Apart from above mentioned reasons player might have to also change his hand to stop the other player winning the game, till the player has reduced his points or for winning the game himself. – Professional players play to win and they play such technically skilled game – RUMMY IS A SKILL GAME
I believe this has given you more confidence and you are ready to play as a professional!
It is time for you to show your skill, play now and post your comments!